Higher Education Coordinating Council Meeting
May 2, 2012
325 W. Gaines Street
Tallahassee, FL 32399
9:00 a.m. until 12 noon or upon conclusion of business
- Introductions and Opening Remarks
- Updates from Council Members
- Legislative Update
- Staff will provide an update on new legislation, as signed.
- Rep. Bill Proctor will be present at this meeting to discuss his major legislative initiatives.
- Work Plan – Dr. R. E. LeMon (SUS) will discuss the status of the work plan and any new developments from the recent legislation as well as updates on what has been accomplished to date.
- Virtual Campus Presentation - Dr. Nancy McKee (SUS) will talk about the establishment of the Florida Virtual Campus which will provide access to online student and library support services and serve as a statewide resource and clearinghouse for public postsecondary education distance learning courses and degree programs. The Virtual Campus is also intended to facilitate collaboration among public postsecondary education institutions in their use of these resources to increase student access and completion of associate and baccalaureate degrees.
- Teacher Education – This item is a continuation from our initial discussion from our previous meeting. Dr. Kathy Hebda (DOE, Deputy Public Schools Chancellor for Educator Quality) will review and describe activities that are presently underway concerning teacher preparation and quality including (1) current pathways for teacher preparation, (2) the work that is underway by committees tasked with making recommendations in teacher preparation, and (3) projects supporting teacher preparation and certification under Race to the Top. Discussion will include possible additional steps that the HECC can take to supplement and support these activities, as well as steps to increase competency and recruit, retain and better prepare teachers for the Twenty First Century. And steps to build and strengthen partnerships and build bridges in the teacher educational delivery system.
- Discussion regarding established or regularly scheduled meetings
- Other business
*Meeting will be webcast
Mailing List Sign up